Volcano pictures..

sparks

• 2 weeks later...

Well the volcanic eruption has increased, and has now melted part of the glacier.

Video1

Video2

I once worked about 20km from the area, and when I was there a similar eruption/flood swept the 'big bridge' (as they call it) away. This time they managed to dig out part of the road in the hope of diverting the flood. Since there is only one road around the country it would be disasterous if it's shut for months as it was before. They got a temporary one from the UK last time, but I'm not sure what will happen this time !

However, there is a disturbing report that as of a few hours ago they have detected the possibility that the main volcano under the glacier may blow. The last time that happened, it is believed by some that the resulting ash cloud caused a famine in parts of europe and was one of the triggers of the french revolution - "let them eat cakes" and all that !

Apparently all flights to be cancelled at heathrow from midday according to 5live - and for an indefinate period !

This will cost far more than the icesave debacle...

Funnily enough we were waiting for a new passport for our youngest before booking a trip to Iceland....it just arrived this morning, so I think we'll hold off for a while.

btw, there might be some interesting sunsets tonight with the high level ash!

Mind you, it's a change getting sh*tty air coming this way. Normally the view is crystal clear up there when sunny, but if they get 3 days of southerly winds all the polution comes from Europe. Vision drops to 5-10km!

It's then you realise what crap we are breathing in every day!

As ever, we're only a few days from chaos...or in the case of the UK, profiteering!

As travellers sought alternatives, P&O Ferries reported a 40 per cent increase in bookings across the Channel. Prices for foot passengers increased from £60 for a return to more than £150 over the weekend.....

Eurostar expected to sell every ticket for its weekend services. The £69 return tickets increased to £179 single.

Mind you, I wonder when the panic buying will start?...

Volcanic ash cloud leaves shops facing shortages of fruit, vegetables and medicine

UK retailers face significant disruption to their supply chains due to a ban on air freight following the volcanic ash crisis.

A 'wake up call'?...but who will listen? We can't feed ourselves anymore, so this is what happens when something normal interrupts our accepted pattern of life. We started looking at cutting down 'food miles' a while ago, and eating seasonally. Not only does it make some foods more special when you don't have then year round, but it does show up vaste anomalies. For example, asparagus from peru half the price of that fom 10 miles away ffs !

Reports on the morning news in Iceland say that emmissions are increasing again, and readings are consistent with this continuing for quite some time! Of course it could shut off at any time, but if not...............

• 4 weeks later...