Queens speech..what was left out?

sparks

I must admit, after many years of campaigning it was good to hear a lot of the 'freedom measures' announced by Liz today.. Link

Of course I'll be even happier if the actual wording of the bill matches the rhetoric, and that it is then actually passed!

But Nick Clegg has said that we should all be able to select acts that could be repealed/amended...

So what would be on your wish list in this area...I have a little shopping list, which is by no means complete. Some of these may be looked at by the coalition:

Digital Economy Bill

US extradition treaty

ANPR data retention

RIPA

28 days detention

Right of entry to homes by 'state officials'

Accreditation scheme

Control orders

ASBO's

Vetting/Barring/CRB

Child support act/Secret Family courts

Section 44 terrorism act

Smart meters...

And it was such an irony that the necessity of the "Freedom (Great Repeal) Bill" was shown a mere few hours before it was announced...

Protester Brian Haw arrested before Queen's speech

The stink of the last 13 years is still in the air !

I need the challenge.. :Laugh:

LOL yea i see your point, a couple of question though, why "ANPR data retention" ANPR as a tool can be handy (much as i hate it myself) but are you talking about logging where the number plate was spotted and it's time of day etc or ANPR itself?

Also CRB checks we need some checks on people with kids, i know there far from perfect esp the bit where they don't only list convictions but also just simple suspicions, but where does your objection lie here?

Smart meters, you've lost me on that one even i who agrees with you a fair bit can see nothing wrong in these or is there something i don't know.

All1

LOL yea i see your point, a couple of question though, why "ANPR data retention" ANPR as a tool can be handy (much as i hate it myself) but are you talking about logging where the number plate was spotted and it's time of day etc or ANPR itself?

Also CRB checks we need some checks on people with kids, i know there far from perfect esp the bit where they don't only list convictions but also just simple suspicions, but where does your objection lie here?

Smart meters, you've lost me on that one even i who agrees with you a fair bit can see nothing wrong in these or is there something i don't know.

All1

That's why I said repeal or amended..

ANPR can be used usefully, but I believe it should be a targetted 'weapon' - i.e. a roadside check. The present system stores travel details of all journeys for at least 2 years (and up to 5). In addition, it is regularly used to prevent certain people (e.g. protestors) from proceeding on their lawful business - so I'd want a targetted vehicle under these (and other) circumstances only to be stopped with full judicial powers..

It's also a perfect way to create a road pricing network that will be yet another tax!

CRB is ok in general, but when people are barred/vetted because of heresay/uncorroborated accusations, and ignores innocent verdicts, then it needs reform. Paedos need weeding out, but the current system produces more 'false positives' than 'positive detections'

Smart meters are fine in principle...however the built in software allows full surveillance of power usage combined with the ability to limit or even cut off a supply. I don't need to spell out how that capability could possibly be abused!

ANPR can be used usefully, but I believe it should be a targetted 'weapon' - i.e. a roadside check.
You see i think most folks would have no issues with it being used for this, however
The present system stores travel details of all journeys for at least 2 years (and up to 5).
I wonder how many people know this and if they did would it be a case of "I have nothing to hide, so no issues with it" but also is this not what sat navs due? I'm sure i read somewhere they they store bundles of info on where you have been etc

It's also a perfect way to create a road pricing network that will be yet another tax!
Oh come on a Govt bringing taxes via the back door surely no Govt would do that :Winky:

CRB is ok in general, but when people are barred/vetted because of heresay/uncorroborated accusations,
This is why IMO CRB is a joke you do need something but I was horrified to know they put uncorroborated accusations on these checks and if i'm right they are there for life, bang goes the long held innocent till proven guilty, but what amazes me more then this is the fact that people don't think there is anything wrong with it :Hmm:

Smart meters are fine in principle...however the built in software allows full surveillance of power usage combined with the ability to limit or even cut off a supply. I don't need to spell out how that capability could possibly be abused!
Mind you having watched watchdog the other day they just seem to kick the door in anyway, i don't see how electric co knowing how i use my electric is a problem BUT i do see a possible problem in years to come and i'm talking about maybe a decade away where given we don't produce enough of our own energy that rationing could well come into force so they may cut your power off for a few hours a day, i know it sounds crazy but if i remember in the last cold snap this winter we were down to just a few days worth of gas left in our supply but i guess people will say i'm over reacting.

All1