Petrol Prices ?

Iceman

Mmmmmmm! yet the Government/Country is broke ????
And we all know why that is, look back over last 13 years and it may give you a clue, IMO this country is f u c ked and the problem is most people have now idea how bad things are.

£70 billion in interest ALONE in 5 years time, the debt is just crazy, expect duty to go even higher along with lots of other stuff.

All1

It's easy to critisise but how would you fix it? (the debt that is)

There are more taking out of the pot than putting in.

But I believe the right bloke is in charge now. From what he says there will be less people taking out and the ones that are will be taking out less. Good on him.

"From what he says there will be less people taking out and the ones that are will be taking out less."

And when they start cutting back on jobs there`s going to be less going into the pot, you can only save money if you don`t spend it in the first place.

In my opinion labour knew that they had no chance of getting back in so they purposely ran up debt as high as possible to f88k up new goverment from the start.

Maybe we should tell debtors to b go whistle,What they gonna do,send the bailifs in or repossess uk.LOL

Maybe we should tell debtors to b go whistle,What they gonna do,send the bailifs in or repossess uk.LOL

They don't have to...

If our credit rating drops, the interest rate we pay to borrow sky rockets, adding to the debt (Greece is I believe at 18% atm). If we default, we can't borrow money full stop...

No borrowed money means the government is unable to pay the public sector - doctors, nurses, teachers, police, army etc etc...How long do you think it will take before the whole place falls apart? (I give it about a month after default... :Winky: )

Meanwhile, in a desperate attempt to postpone the inevitable, all the UK's remaining assets will be sold off to the creditors in a 'fire sale', so no bailiffs needed...

Also dont forget that duty on fuel, alcohol, and cigarettes was increased to take into account the VAT reduction of 2.5%, what is the betting that these are NOT decreased now that VAT is back at 17.5%

fuel_price.gif

On my little image the manufacturer gets only 27p and the retailer 9p = 36p

The government gets (duty+vat) 80p per litre (based on £1.16/litre) at last years 15% VAT.

V.A.T has (as we know) reverted back to 17.5% in January and next year V.A.T @ 20% so even more for the government.

So when the cost of oil goes up then the government get an even bigger slice based on their duty calculations.

I am already cutting back on my mileage not because of global warming but because I can't afford the petrol.

Petrol prices effects the poor even more because it's a bigger percentage of their (already low) income.

fuel_price.gif

On my little image the manufacturer gets only 27p and the retailer 9p = 36p

The government gets (duty+vat) 80p per litre (based on £1.16/litre) at last years 15% VAT.

V.A.T has (as we know) reverted back to 17.5% in January and next year V.A.T @ 20% so even more for the government.

So when the cost of oil goes up then the government get an even bigger slice based on their duty calculations.

I am already cutting back on my mileage not because of global warming but because I can't afford the petrol.

Petrol prices effects the poor even more because it's a bigger percentage of their (already low) income.

Don't forget adding to the government coffers is the amount paid in corporation tax by the retailer and manufacturer. Even through you are not paying this directly the effect of you filling up is to increase the profits of the retailer and manufacturer and hence more money going to the governement so in fact you could say rather than 80p going to the governement its more than that.

I also have been cutting back on driving. In fact I have been biking to some of my work places for approx 3 months now. The way I see it is i reckon each journey there and back costs me approx £4.00 on fuel (I exclude all wear and tear costs but this is also saved). I bike about 3 times a week and work home other days. So £12 saved in a week. If I can do this approx for 40 weeks of the year thats almost £500 saved. I always go on holiday as most know to Thailand which costs me airfare wise £500. So by biking I save enough money to pay for my airfare.

Also it keeps me fitter, I get there in approx 8 minutes as opposed to most days sitting in car in traffic jam taking almost 30 mins and I lock bike outside. The downside is my life expectancy is a little lower due to the shite drivers we have on our roads - yes thats you Mrs 4x4 who has no spacial awareness at all.

I am totally amazed at the different in petrol prices this week.

Lozally the price is 121.9p / litre.

In a small village in Wales it was 117.9p / litre.

That's 4p per litre less than at my local large garage.

How can an independant retailer sell at 4p per litre less and still make a profit?

That's approx 18p per gallon less in old money.

I remember the days when people would drive to the other side of town to save 1p a gallon.

What happened?

I'm just back from Poland and the prices over there are 4.85 zlotty's which equates to around a £1 a litre. Virtually all the atations we passed were the same price.

Back in the Uk and price varies considerably. passed one station charging £1.22 whiule just down the road it was going for £1.17. Currently around £1.15 to £1.19 up north here just now.