A bit of advice regarding Facebook photos please

conbrue

Hello,

Long time no post :Pudently:

I started a Facebook page for the area were I live, basically its so people can upload pictures of our town in the past. After only 2 weeks we now have >200 members and >300 pictures as well as stories, poems and people generally chatting and catching up, they have even organised a community walk and tour of all the old sites.

Yesterday I got a private message from a person who is not happy there is a photo of him on there without his permission, he is asking me to take it off and remove all reference to his name etc. I didn't upload this picture it was one of the members and the picture is of lots of people in a public place.

I understand he may not like the idea of a picture being on the Internet of him which he didn't put on but what are the rules here? He is asking me to take this picture of and remove his name in 1 week or he will go to his lawyer.

He is a facebook member, and it seems its one of his relatives (same last name) who has mentioned him, there was no tagging involved.

Were do I stand legally please?

Thanks.

:Thumbs_Up1:

Just re-upload the photo and blur his face out. And as it will be the only face that is blurred out get some body (not you) to ask y the is a blurred face.

Then you reply "for legal reasons"

Then you get some body to say "probably the local pedo they get more protection than the kids in this day and age"

You will get no more ppl asking for the type of thing again.

Call his bluff :Scull:

Tell him you'll welcome a letter from his lawyer explaining the legal reasons why you should remove the picture. It wont cost you anything, and you'll get some valuable information at HIS cost . . . if he puts his money where his (keyboard warrior) mouth is :Laugh:

I have been running a campaign about this exact topic, I like the first 2 answers, also you did not take or upload the picture, the person who took the picture, the copyright of the image is theirs, so I would probably call his bluff or if you dont want to go down that road go for option 2 and just blur his face that will bring him some unwanted attention.

Final result is to ban him from the site, that way he will not know if you have removed it or not, just gives him hassle

It might be a idea for you to add to your info page some kind of legal statement claiming anyone uploading pictures should make sure they have full permission of all involved in the picture and that you are not responsible for any pictures uploaded other than the ones you yourself have uploaded.

Covers your back then just in case m8.