Advice on new home hi-fi needed

Alloneword

I'm starting to look at replaceing my old (very) hi-fi, my old system has all the old stuff, CD/turntable/twin tapes (remember them)/tuner & amp, to be honest all i ever use it for nowadays is CD's and sometimes i listen to sky radio and tv as sky is wired into aux and then layed to me via wireless headphones.

So i need something that plays CD's, some kind of ipod dock (classic/2 nano's 4th & 5th gen) and a DAB tuner, now the advice i realy need is what manf to look for I'm looking for something like this system.

eldf107dabblack.th.jpg

It's been a long while since i bought and home audio equipment so i'm well out the loop, I've looked at Denon and like the look of there stuff as well as Kenwood but no idea how there audio/build quality stands nowadays.

As ever ££ is an issue but happy to spend ££ so long as it's a good investment (I mean it won't go bang after 18 months), i'm no audiophile but i don't won't it sounding cr@p either, so what brand would you suggest that doe sgive decent audio/build quality and will not cost silly money.

All1

I'd pop down to your nearest Richer Sounds, and have a chat and a listen to some of their offerings (including Denon).

I've bought from them ever since visiting their original store in the late seventies!

(and their 5 year guarantee at 10% of purchase cost is the only guarantee I've ever bought)

I'd pop down to your nearest Richer Sounds,
I'd forgotton about them, i have one just over the river at London Bridge so i'll pop along and see what they have to say don't think there is much pint in listening to it to be honest as i'll be using my old speakers, but thanks for the tip, Anyone else suggest another manf to look at.

All1

All1

If you are going to use your old speakers (and they're 'portable'), I'm sure they'll hook them up for you - just give 'em a call.

Alternatively I've previously bought from them, taken home, and returned if not quite right.

All1

If you are going to use your old speakers (and they're 'portable'), I'm sure they'll hook them up for you - just give 'em a call.

Alternatively I've previously bought from them, taken home, and returned if not quite right.

There not huge but to big to cart round on and off of river buses etc, given i'm no audio buff so long as it sound "ok" i'll be happy but it's nice to know i can return and exchange for something else if the need is there, Thanks Sparks.

All1

Richer Sounds are not the cheapest anymore and now days they are more about TVs than Hi-Fi

See if the is a super-fi by yours

http://www.superfi.co.uk/

Is this the type of unit your after.

Pioneer-xw-nav1-k-main.jpg

The Pioneer XW-NAV1 combines a DVD/CD player with an iPod dock. Output video- up to full 1080p high definition via HDMI- to your television, listen to music from your iPod or a USB device, listen to FM radio or rip your CDs to a USB memory stick with this versatile Hifi.

The XW-NAV1 delivers detailed sound from its two 10 watt speakers, and is designed with a passive radiator for improved bass. An advanced sound retriever function that restores the quality to compressed music gives you a superb and hugely enjoyable sound from your iPod and MP3s.

The NAV1 has several timer options, including an alarm. You can wake up to music from your iPod.

All this plus full remote control functionality, including control of your iPod, an auxiliary stereo line input for connecting other devices such as non-iPod portable MP3 players, CD players etc. and a large LED display. The Pioneer XW-NAV1 is a terrific multi-function system.

INTERNET OFFER: £99.95

Is this the type of unit your after.

Pioneer-xw-nav1-k-main.jpg

To be honest i do like the look of the system above just a small amp/reciever and CD player i do worry that for £100 Pioneer maybe scrapping the bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes, something i did forget to mention was i need 3 aux inputs, (1 for PC, one for sky and one for PVR) I have been down to the London bridge place this mornig and they showed me the "Cambridge Audio one+" which looked ok and did have 3 aux inputs, sound was hard to tell to be honest and also i was using there speakers and they are better then mine, i just have a small hang up about buying an all-in-one unit it reminds me of those amstrad bits of sh1t from the 80's, looks ok on the outside but inside it's full of dust if you get my drift but i will check out that link you gave me

All1