Thoughts on George Foreman grills

Alloneword

We bought this one second hand (£12.50 in perfect cond!), and we're impressed with it. Link

It's so much better than a conventional grill, as you get virtually no smoke/smell and no flare ups..

It does get rid of a lot of the fat, but when you've used it you'll never want to buy crap supermarket burgers or meat again!...As our local butcher says, " you can't get fat out if you don't put it there in the first place!"

And the type of fat from the cheap stuff is so obviously disgusting stuff !

Although that one is obsolete, there are similar models around.

I would definately go for one with:

Removeable plates - so easy to wash..

Variable temperature - without it, it doesn't double up so very well as a deluxe sandwich toaster..

A timer is really useful, as it works from when the selected temperature is reached..

Don't get one with the bread warmer at the top (as ours has, and one of the reviews says), as it keeps flopping open..

I wouldn't get one any smaller than this (6 portion) if tyou have the room, as they don't cook as much you would think.

Obviously that means unless you can find it S/H as we did, it'll be a more expensive model...but the other two people I know who bought cheaper ones have left them collecting dust in the back of the cupboard because of the limitations...

I Hope that helps

We've had one for several years and especially use it in the winter. You don't get the flavor like you do on a grill outdoors, but as stated, it does a very good job of getting the fat out of the burgers. If you look around I am sure that you will find a website with suggestions for other uses. I know the new ones offer tips on other things you can do with it.

Thanks for the replies guys, Sparks for once money is not an issue, i need to get the best bit of kit for my needs, as it stands right now i 'll use it for bacon, burgers, sausages, chicken breasts that's all i can think of right now but once i get used to it i'll try to use it for more stuff but i just don't know what it can or can't do to be honest.

Argos are doing a sale on some of his grills right now so if i buy the right one i could get a good deal, i like the idea of removeable trays for easy cleaning but according to http://www.georgeforeman.co.uk/Easy_Clean_Grills_qc_4.html the only one that fits my bill is model number "12205" which argos don't do, it's normally £99 but i can get it for £66, what i don't want to do is buy one now then work out it's not right for me and have to buy another one, so the first one has to be the right one, i hear what you say about what size alot of review say 4 portions is not as you think it should be so i agree 6 is a min, what are your thoughts on anything Argos has or should i just go for the george forman link i gave you at £66?

All1

Hmmm, Thoughts on George Foreman Grills . . . . . . .

Did you know??????

The George Foreman grill was almost the Hulk Hogan grill. Apparently an agent had two products that needed endorsing. One was a grill and the other was a blender. Since Hogan wasn't around when the call came in, George Foreman took the grill and Hogan got left with the blender that apparently made no dough.

:Laugh:

Scrub that just read some of the reviews on amazon and it's not great, jesus maybe i should just buy one of those cheap BBQ things :Hmm:

As with everything, it seems the build quality goes down the newer an item is!

But I think a lot of reviews regarding the cooking/taste stems from the fact that the meat WILL taste a bit different - simply because with less fat it's 'drier'!...*

as it stands right now i 'll use it for bacon, burgers, sausages, chicken breasts that's all i can think of right now but once i get used to it i'll try to use it for more stuff but i just don't know what it can or can't do to be honest.

From personal experience, bacon doesn't do too well, and sausages only work if they are the better kind - but then if you're looking at healthier eating then you need to get non-supermarket stuff anyway...

Beef does very well too, but pork needs marinating beforehand imo..

Another thing that works well (IF you want to get really healthy... :Laugh: ) is thickly sliced veggies such as Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Beetroot, Parsnip etc, as long as they have a small coating of Olive oil....

*Of course if you then smother meat with sauce, it defeats the object - which is why when we get a surplus of onions/tomatoes/carrots/chillies from our plot I make loads of lo-cal belize chillie sauce in varying heat levels!

Were on our second grill now, 1st one lasted 7 years of nearly daily abuse until one day it blew the mains off! now have a 10 portion version and we swear by it, ALL out meat products are done in it (except bacon!), even tried fish a few times, but fish fingers are a no!!!!

in short its the best gadget for the kitchen we have bought, and even the wife can now cook steak to perfection!!!!! :Thumbs_Up1:

I have a big George Foreman.

I am so glad I bought it.

Take 4 "all beef" beefburgers (Birds Eye or whoevers) and cook them in a George Foreman.

You do get a drip tray with the GF.

5 or 6 minutes and they are thoroughly cooked. Enjoy!

Now look at the drip tray ......... it is full of grease, and I mean full.

All that saturated fat is what you would eat if you fried the burgers.

Another step to a heart attack.

Now those 4 "all beef" beefburgers taste absolutely wonderful and actually taste of BEEF.

My other half's neices say that my burgers are far the best they have ever had.

I don't eat burgers very often but my burgers are simply the best when cooked in a George Foreman.

Add sliced tomato, onion and a little relish and wow! (Forget the barbecue, use a George)

Don't keep us in suspense....Cook something!

:Laugh:

I have to get some oil first as they say you need to coat the plates and i don't have any, will be out on mon or tues and get some then, i must admit i'm looking forward to seeing how much sh1t comes out the food, i only tend to fry saus and bacon most other stuff will be oven cooked on a wire try so fat drips of but guessed the GF grill was my best option.

All1

Never bothered with oil myself, apart from previously mentioned veggies...

Get it to temperature, whack in the meat, and the fat will do the rest!

If you do use oil, can I suggest the lo-cal sprayable one...

Agree 100%