Any electricians?

Jedi.Warrior

Dunno if its me being paranoid or what but there seems to be some weird electrical hic ups going on in my home!

as you no I had a problem with a Beko freezer that seemed to randomly de-frost!

the shop currently has the item on extended test in the shop and have supplied us with an old Brandt frost free freezer, now that has started to do the same!!!

we have also noticed the LED light bar in the kitchen has developed a random flicker and is slowly blowing the LEDs one at a time!

Mine and my daughters laptops get random power supply warnings and when they do we get static shocks from the case!

every now and then the cooker blows the main trip, all of this seems to happen around the same time

My microwave every now and then when used wipes out my wifi network and if your in the kitchen when it is used your mobile phone looses its signal! (we bought it new 3 months ago)

could all this be connected?

is there anything I could get to check my supply of do I need to get the electric board in?

Since it appears from your description to be happening on more than one circuit, it could be a power fluctuation issue - although it probably wouldn't be restricted just to you...Any neighbours with similar problems?

Another possibility is an earthing problem, especially if you have a PME system...Worth getting someone local in to have a look.

The power company will in my experience often lie, even if there is a problem their side of the supply, so don't be fobbed off if everything checks out circuit wise!

It sounds like a large volt drop is happening. I am basing this on the cooker tripping the breaker. When voltage drops - current goes up.

Also - the freezer motor would stop turning at a set voltage - thus defrosting.

But as to what is causing it is another thing.

If your lights are not dimming then I would suspect the fault lies within the fuse board or part of it.

But as I say, it can't be determined by guessing.

Jed, I have one of those blue plug in ring main testers at my place in FE, grab it next time you're in the area and try it in every socket in the house.

As Sparks and Rother said, it could be any one or more of many different things, and it's impossible to diagnose over the net without at a least a bit more information, but I'm leaning a bit towards earthing faults.

Also, I know you know what you're doing reasonably well, so (after removing the power to them) pull a few of the sockets off the wall and have a look at the state of the wiring, look for obvious signs of overheating and loose terminations, these will quite often show up as blackened or darkened terminals, or scorched or melted plastic. Regarding your remarks about the cooker, give the cooker point a thorough looking over, I've known some builders to bodge wire them with 2.5 T&E in the past :Surprise:

With respect DJ, the plug in testers only give an indication as to whether cables are correctly wired - they show nothing else specific, and they do give a false sense of security imo.

Rother's point about lights dimming/not dimming is a good one....but are the affected circuits all on an RCD?

Try testing the trip switch and if it doesn't work his theory regarding the consumer unit might be worth pursuing further...hence getting in a local (reputable) electrician is recomended !