Water meter - enforced installation...

sparks

Our profiteering water company have got to our area and we are about to have a money stealing meter installed...

(although they'll have a bit of fun as there appear to be some weld marks on the access cover...whistle.gif)

Apparently they record the usage in the first 3 months whilst still charging the fixed amount, and then after that move to payment by meter. But they offer a 'change-over' tarriff if you do that rather than opt for payment by meter straight away. However, I can't find any details of benefits/disadvantages.

Would it be advisable to use as much water as I want during those 3 months in order to claim we will be unfairly penalised by the change?

Has anyone had this forced on them too, as I'd like to find out about the most advantageous way to soften the blow...

Cheers.

Hey All1...

Spookily familiar?

http://www.unclaimedfinances.co.uk/overcharged-water-bills-how-claim.html

Q. We have been overcharged for 18 years on our water bills. The utility company makes no effort to deny this, but will only pay back 6 years' overcharges. I can understand that it may be unreasonable to expect companies to keep records for longer than 6 years and this might account for the Statute of Limitation which they are hiding behind. We have the bills however, to prove the overcharging. Can the company legitimately refuse to pay in this situation?

A. Times limits for reclaiming overcharges have often been disputed by companies and the customers who are reclaiming their payments. Regulating bodies do have different guidelines on how many years a customer can reclaim overpayments. For instance, where bank charges are concerned the usual reclaim limit is six years. However the Financial Services Ombudsman has stated that there is no time limit on how far back claims can be made. There is a lot of conflicting information on time limits when reclaiming overcharges. If a customer is reclaiming they should aim for as high a period as possible, in your case 18 years.

I have a good way of reducing my water bill.

I have an external tap that is connected into the cold water supply just under the kitchen sink, after the meter....

Outside in the garden is another external tap, that runs straight off the main supply out in the road . . . . with no meter .....

Turn off the main stop-cock to the house, attach hose between two outside taps, turn both of them on . . . hey presto, unmetered supply :Cool: