A true 'Hero' of the people...

sparks

I don't know if anyone else saw/heard the press conference with Aung San Suu Kyi this morning, but she was so dignified...

She was so focused on her goal, rather than Camoron who was eyeing the profits to be made from trade - and droolling no doubt over Burmese Oil !

Occasionally someone crops up who spends their life devoted to a cause, and she is one of those despite her personal suffering.

I was fortunate enough to visit Burma a year before she was first put under house arrest, and her name was already being mentioned in whispered conversations.

I went to some places I shouldn't have gone too (playing a game of 'cat and mouse' with the inept 'secret' police), but as a relative 'youngster' then I didn't take enough notice of what her name/movement meant because it was a bit of a game to me!

I was however shocked at how the people were suffering at the hands of their rulers, and donated virtually everything I was carrying in my backpack to the locals. I was after all able to head off to Nepal afterwards where a few dollars would replenish my supplies!

In return I got the experience of being in the best country I have ever visited, and that is a total of 38 countries and (hopefully) still counting!

Has anyone else here been to Burma?