TV Licence

Alloneword

I'm getting fed up paying £150 a year for my TV Licence when to be honest i rarely watch BBC1/BBC2, I was thinking of dumping it and just using iPlayer as i suspect everything i want will be on iPlayer.

Has anyone done this to date, if so any problems for you doing it or anything i should be aware of?

On there website they mention 4oD which i think is BS from my understanding i can watch ITV channel 4 etc live as it's nothing to do withy BBC am i right?

All1

Have a read of the back of the Licence if you have a PC thats get internet you need a TV Licence now if you have a mobile phone that has internet

you need one too It's been this way from day one of the BBC doing that BBC iPlayer (Before iPlayer you did not need a TV Licence if you had internet)

I think in this day and age the BBC are out dated and we need to scrap the Licence or put a cap of say £80 on it.

Or better yet make it a subscription service.

I'll dig my Licence out today my pc cannot get live tv pictures unless i use sites like tvcatchup but i thought it was if you had TV card you needed one as for mobiile that has to be bull as Noel Edmunds was on Newsnight the other night saying he does not pay for Licence and i'm sure he dont run around with a dumb phone, i'll post back ;ater with what i have found out.

All1

Well to be honest the back of my Licence tells me jack to be honest, but looking at their site it does say "Exception: If you only watch catch-up services online, then you don’t need a licence. For example, you don’t need one to use BBC iPlayer, or ITV player, to catch up on programmes after they have been shown on TV." so from that i'm ok without one if i just use catchup and this would be ok on the pc or phone or tv, it "seems" the issue is watching live or recording a live show, so me wonder if there is a PVR out there thatv can cap iplayer etc.

All1

The is a catch mate as I know some body that got done for having a TV in the home that was not even plugged in it was facing the wall and did not even work

(old non digital) they were still told that if you added a set-top-box it will get a BBC channel they did not have a set-top-box

(but you can buy a set top and not need to give out your address unlike when you buy a new TV)

The thing about BBC iPlayer is that it can do live TV too it's been this way for the last 3 or so years and the info you will be given will not reflect this.

+ you will get letters all the time asking if you have a TV you will need to get a Licence + you will get the man knock at your door 2 or 3 times a year asking

if you have a TV PC or mobile they will try to trick you by asking for a phone number or e-mail (only ever give out a home number if your ok about it)

Need to look intot his a bit to be honest, i need to make sure stuff i would watch on BBC is on iplayer first so i'll be doing that over the next month, then if everythiung i watch is on iplayer i'll contact tv bods direct and see what they say, i'll do it by snail mail just to be safe, i'll update here when i know more.

All1

Its unbelievable in this day and age for us to be forced to pay for a tv channel.I think if they make it a non criminal offence,I might just risk not having one as if they catch you and start proceedings you could just pay for the licence.They would probably drop the case then.When i think of the cash iv'e spent on a bbc licence over the years it does me off.

Well looks like i may be ok to do without it.

Under the Communications Act 2003, you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record programmes as they are being shown on TV. This is the case no matter what device you use ? whether a TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder

So i can't recored any BBC shows onto a PVR or watch shows as there broadcast on ANY device, however i can watch what i like on iplayer and not have to pay and i have it in writing so i'll keep an eye on what is broadcast on BBC1, 2, 3 & 4 and what i would have watched check if it is on iplayer, i'll do that for the next month and if ip;layer shows everything then i might as well get rid to be honest the only thing i'll miss is newsnight, but i can live without that.

All1

Sorry Cobra, but most of that is a load of bollocks.

You DO NOT need a licence for any computer, unless it has a TV card fitted (EDIT: it must also be connected to an aerial and tuned in to a a receivable station) or you use it to stream LIVE TV. Catchup TV does not require a licence.

And as for your mate, he must have been bent double and taking it up the arse if he accepted those lies about his TV. The slime from Crapita will lie though their back teeth to get people to pay up, they are on commission so it pays well for them to do so.

The people from Crapita have NO RIGHT of entry to your home without a court warrant, and you can simply write to them telling them you no longer use a TV so you don't need a licence, they "should" then remove you from their lists. They may however write to you each year just to check that the situation hasn't changed.

Alloneword, and anyone else for that matter, if you want to find out more about dumping the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation from your list of blood (money) suckers go here:

http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php

Edited by djweeble

The people from Crapita have NO RIGHT of entry to your home without a court warrant, and you can simply write to them telling them you no longer use a TV so you don't need a licence, they "should" then remove you from their lists. They may however write to you each year just to check that the situation hasn't changed.

At my old address one of my neighbours was blind and registered blind at his address he still got a letter every year to check that he was still blind.

DJ you do know that BBC iPlayer can now stream LIVE TV so it's not just Catchup TV anymore they did it as it's used on tablets the most now.

My Dad just told me that years ago if you had a B&W TV + a B&W TV licence you were OK but if you got a VCR for that B&W TV you needed

a colour TV licence (if down the line you got a colour TV most of what you recorded on the VCR will play back in colour)

BTW they still do B&W TV licence and it's over £100 cheaper (over 13'000 homes are still under this even after the swich off :Winking_32: )

DJ have a look at this (read the two posts at the bottom too is that Crapita BS ing again)

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/jan/10/black-and-white-tv-13000-homes

few things to note:
You don't need a licence for pc or tv as long as you don't watch live tv and only watch catchup

If the inspector comes into your home and you let them in and they see that the tv is plugged in with the aerial or a top box etc.,  you'd have a hard time convincing them you didn't use it to watch tv but if there's no aerial and no top box then  etc they have to prove you are using it for live tv,
As for the iplayer you don't need a license not yet anyway but they are trying to change the law. You do need a license to watch on iplayer IF its being broadcast on tv at the same time but not if you watch it afterwards.

here's an article with the bbc admitting you don't need a licence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545000/Make-iPlayer-viewers-pay-licence-fee-BBC-call-reforms-deal-500-000-homes-watch-programmes-online.html

These articles are a bit clearer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304280/BBC-silence-licence-loophole-Corporation-refuses-say-households-need-catch-online.html

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence

few things to note:

You don't need a licence for pc or tv as long as you don't watch live tv and only watch catchup

If the inspector comes into your home and you let them in and they see that the tv is plugged in with the aerial or a top box etc.,  you'd have a hard time convincing them you didn't use it to watch tv but if there's no aerial and no top box then  etc they have to prove you are using it for live tv,

As for the iplayer you don't need a license not yet anyway but they are trying to change the law. You do need a license to watch on iplayer IF its being broadcast on tv at the same time but not if you watch it afterwards.

here's an article with the bbc admitting you don't need a licence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545000/Make-iPlayer-viewers-pay-licence-fee-BBC-call-reforms-deal-500-000-homes-watch-programmes-online.html

These articles are a bit clearer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304280/BBC-silence-licence-loophole-Corporation-refuses-say-households-need-catch-online.html

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence

But Gazza in my case i would have tv with aeriel and sat dish (Freesat) and i do use it but 95% of the time it's for itv/ch4 & ch5, I watch about 2 hours of BBC tv a week, surely they would have to prove i was watching BBC or had taped live BBC tv via freesat box or something, but that's presuming i let them i won't let them in without a warrant, surely i dont need licience for watching ITV/Ch4/Ch5?

All1

Nice to see you by the way m8, no sparks on here they have driven him away  but he lives on in me :Smile_32:

its just a safe guard, just in case...........

its a bit like the old black and white licence that someone has commented about, I ran that for 10 years and never had a knock at the door

but there's always the chance they might.

i think i am right in saying they can detect if your using a receiver but they cannot detect if your watching it through the net

they don't have that access.

in my case i pay the licence as i have a massive motorised satellite dish that i go all over the world with, cable box and a wife who loves the soaps :Blushing_32:

so no chance in getting rid of the licence

They can only detect the old CRT screens and that only worked if the was a aerial going to it.

They don't use them anymore they have a PDA that has the Database of all unlicenced addresses in it.

(same way the DVLA know if your car is good on the road or not)

Any live broadcast = licence regardless of how you get the feed.

Only catch up / DVDs / game systems and IPTV like netflix / amazon prime / blinkbox as long as you don't see any live feeds = no licence

And if you ever go non licence they will send somebody to do a inspection (you don't have to let them in BUT thats when the nagging starts)

If you let them in and they say yes to been licence free they will send you a letter and you will be good for two years

(in this time you may have one random inspection)

But remember they get commission on any licence they say you need so what a lot of people do is film all the inspections.

BTW that first post by me happed back in the late 90s so was not under the newer Communications Act 2003

The Communications Act 2003 is a lot better then the older one at least there's a line to cross before your breaking it.

I seen all them Jamer before I posted the first Youtube clip

The thing is that if the cops show up it gets harder especially if the cops are not informed of how the TV license works

and just do what the people from Capita say.

• Thumbs Up 1

The cops will not show up unless Crapita have been to court and got a warrant and you've still refused them entry.

In order to get that warrant they have to prove that they have evidence that you are using a TV or other apparatus to receive live broadcasts without a licence. As simple "he wouldn't let us in" is not nearly good enough.

They have NO right of entry without the warrant, and without getting in how are they going to prove you are watching without a licence ?

TV detector vans don't exist any more, the technology they used to use is so outdated that it is next to useless with modern equipment. They worked by using a pair of DF loop antenna's to detect and directionally pinpoint a weak radio signal given off by an oscillator circuit in the TV tuner circuit, the frequency of the signal varied depending on what channel you were tuned into, and by triangulating the direction of the signal, they could pinpoint the reciever. That is all they detected, and nothing else, in spite of what they claimed on the old detector van scareverts.