Any bikers on here? (not pushies)

Alloneword

See your still a youngster at heart then riding that, unlike me turning into old fart now thinking about a 2002 ST1100 Pan, i'm done with scratching normally ended up in someone hedge.

Just wonder if you can give me any pointers m8 i have no ridden in anger for about 15-20 years and wanted to know if there is anything that has changed alot in those years, I know there is a lot more of these average speed camera things that measure you over a set mile or 20, but anything else to be aware of, also has there been any kind of inovation as far as getting a phone signal in the helmet maybe bluetooth or something like that, any decent reads MCN looks to have gone down the pan looking at there forum, just any help or tips would be handy, Insurance for me is about £200 TPFT and £450 fully comp with bennents

All1

Get good CE approved clothing and never ever ride in shorts and tee shirt, not even 100 yards to the corner shop. aa7bb18c1ee01c63e24dada0343e2d86.jpg

Get the best lid you can afford 'cos you only get one head.

Nothing else I can suggest to you All1 other than 'Point and squirt', and watch out for the Blue Meanies :Angry_32:

No those t-shirt days are long gone, i learnt my lesson the hard way round the Elephant & Castle roundabout, I was looking at leaters but i see mention of "Cordura" mentioned a fair bit and looking at wiki it says it's not bad stuff, cheaper for me as leathers will need to be made to measure (Fat Git), as for lids well I have always been a big fan of Shoei, loved the GRV range but it's well old now and if i'm not mistaken now were talking upwards of £500, I won't buy open face or the convertable types either only full face, just had a nose round Shoei UK site and the NXR is not to bad about £300 but just found out they don't use the buckle on that model so i have more digging do to, what's the odds it's only on the £500+ range :Sad_32:

OK Thanks for the info m8

All1

I came to the conclusion ten years ago that if I went back onto two wheels I probably wouldn't reach my sixtieth birthday so I just made sure that I got my two farm quad bikes road legal and as they're both diesel and have a top speed of a little over 45mph I think there is still hope to celebrate my sixtieth next year.

More recently I've been caught by the electric unicycle bug and that has me so hooked that I now have several wheels and go out riding with my sons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PifTfsgvL_E

This chap is one of our nuttiest forum members in Finland and has recently broken his collar bone, but there's no need to ride as crazily as he does.

Living in London there is no point in having anything other then 2 wheels it would be a waste of money, i want to get back into it for 2 reason and one of them is to do something i have always wanted and that is John o'groats to Lands End going via Wales and stopping at a mix of hotels and camping (first time i have ever done that), it's about 900 miles i think but i reckon it will be closer to 1,500 given some of the detours i want to take.

That little unicycle thing looks cool well handy for people in to get to and from the tube or train station but i dont think we are allwed to run them on the road over here.

All1

Sounds like great fun as long as you get good weather, could be a bit miserable otherwise.

If you check out the laws relating to electric personal transportation Alloneword you'll find that they all very specifically refer to either 2, 3 or 4 wheeled vehicles so as it stands unicycles haven't been ruled on yet and so are temporarily outside the relevant laws.

They don't have the required equipment for road travel but we try to keep to the pavements and ycle paths whenever they're available.

I've stopped and spoken to several police officers who were all more interested in where they could get one than whether it was legal.

There's a few London er using them now as they are easy to take on the underground or buses.

WheelGo are the London outlet run by Jason McNeil. He has loads of info on his Web site.

Nasty accident, but what the hell was he doing on the wrong side of the road? It's not like he was even going very fast but a truck is not a thing to pick an argument with when you're on a bike.

I've got a 1994 Yamaha XJ 900 Diversion!  Lovely bike.  I only ride to work and back so the traffic is relatively predictable!

I rode when I was about 20 then didn't until I was 50 and its been fantastic!  Makes coming to work enjoyable.

I recommend you don't over think it, just do it!  And my only advice is probably unnecessary given you've ridden before, and its that you treat every other thing as potentially life threatening and trust no-one and nothing!

David

Thanks David amen to the last bit, I rode till i was about 30 and then gave it up due to insurance costs (amonst other things) but now just hit 49 insurance does not seem to bad about £500 fully comp living in central london and no garage or anything to protect it TPFT is about £280, so not to bad in todays world i guess.

All1

just hit 49 insurance does not seem to bad about £500 fully comp living in central london and no garage or anything to protect it TPFT is about £280, so not to bad in todays world i guess.

All1

:Surprised_32: :Surprised_32: :Surprised_32:

Best wait until you're an old duffer like me all1.

Over 60 and therefore a very sensible rider :Thumbs-Up:

Tell that to my missus when she's punching me in the kidneys to go faster. At least I think that's what she means :Winking_32:

Fully comp cost me £87 last year, bike garaged though.

£87 Jesus that's a bargain, shame i don't have anyone outside London i can reg the bike with, i done that at my ma's in Northampton, saved me a bomb over time, what's a 60+ year old doing riding a ZZR6?

You need one of these m8

SS-800-Marketing.jpg

Mind you i'd bet you'd bung a hayabusa lump on the back of it.

All1

• 4 weeks later...

Makes me sick..

I'm looking at just over £300 TPFT, don't mind but i have spent a fortune on tracker/PIR sensor/chains/padlocks/disclocks anyone would think it's worth 20k or something, then there is helmet/gloves/hi Viz (old man u see) waterproofs/sat nav/radio/speakers, havent even looked at my camping gear, mind you i have bought a chair :Cool_32: but that is about it, off to buy lid later today and gloves, then i can sort out train ticket to go an pick the damm thing up from Scunthorpe somewhere so a nice ride home if nothing else  :Laughing_32: 

All1

Well picked it up and boy is she a fat cow, I can hardly get it on it's centre stand, my butt is killing me and so it my back and shoulder blades, not ridden in 15+ years then go and do a 400 mile plus trip and half of that was at 50mph due to poxy road works, i'm off to bed now to die, oh yea electric screen it well handy, i am defo getting old next it will be a wing :Happy_32:

All1