Best 3-4 TB Nas Drive?

The Fonz

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what you will use it for if it's for media (Pic music video) then QNAP are the best the ones that have a HDMI on can run KODI

from the nas the newer ones can even do 4K now.

But if your looking for the best that can hold all your documents and let you access it all from a laptop tablet to mobile phone anywere

Then Synology are the best.

And then if all you are using it for is backup and recovery then Drobo are the best.

I'm on my 3nd NAS now my 1st was a LG only had 1TB was OK till i run out of space (the HDD was fixed in and pre formatted)

my 2nd one was a D-link had to put 2x1TB drives in it the UI was s**t.

my 3rd is a Synology DS213air not the best one they do but it will on the last 2 i had

it has 2x3TB drives in it WD-reds and after 2 years still going like the day i got it even better as the updates make it better now.

Just had a look and if I was going to get a NAS today it will be the DiskStation DS216 and for you 2x2TB WD REDs.

Thanks Cobra, I have not purchased one yet, still looking but i will review your recommendations for sure. I could just buy a WD 3TB network drive because I had one before and it was really good.

I don't know if WD still do it but back in the day when they started doing Network drives they had DRM on them if you tried to stream some pirate movies

and music it did not work I think it was the same thing that the PS3 did you had to download the file 1st and hope it did not blacklist that file from downloading

as I say I don't know if the newer WD Network drives do this but the 1st lot did.

here is the link

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/western_digital_drm_crippled_harddrive/

The one thing I will say is to get a NAS that can hold 2 or more HDDs as they are on 24/7 and the one drive units run to hot after a bit.

If it's speed your after run in RAID 0 but if the data is important run one of the redundancy RAIDs

for speed 2x2TB will give you fast 4TB space or 2x3TB in a redundancy mode will give you 3TB of safe data 

(if a drive fails you just pop it out pop a new one in give it a hour or two and your good to go)

I don't know if WD still do it but back in the day when they started doing Network drives they had DRM on them if you tried to stream some pirate movies

and music it did not work I think it was the same thing that the PS3 did you had to download the file 1st and hope it did not blacklist that file from downloading

as I say I don't know if the newer WD Network drives do this but the 1st lot did.

here is the link

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/western_digital_drm_crippled_harddrive/

The one thing I will say is to get a NAS that can hold 2 or more HDDs as they are on 24/7 and the one drive units run to hot after a bit.

If it's speed your after run in RAID 0 but if the data is important run one of the redundancy RAIDs

for speed 2x2TB will give you fast 4TB space or 2x3TB in a redundancy mode will give you 3TB of safe data 

(if a drive fails you just pop it out pop a new one in give it a hour or two and your good to go)

Thats great thanks buddy for all the info much appreciated.  :Thumbs-Up:  :Thumbs-Up: