Fire Extinguisher... What class

Alloneword

Being one of those scummy social housing people, these recent events at Grenfell Tower Fire safety is something that has been on my mind, not that i will ever have to jump from 20 stories tall but none the less it's been on my mind and despite the fact we have fire/smoke alarms it would seem a good move to have some basis fire safety measures here that i could use to tackle a basic fire.

We are all electric however i do have 2 very small camping gas bottles in the flat (that run a camping Jetboil Zip fire) other than that i guess at worse were looking at a electrical fire so water is out i guess, I’m thinking a dry powder version but would love someone with fire knowledge to give their input looking for nothing more than a KG in size i guess.

It's only a small London (can't even swing a mouse let alone a cat) 1 bed flat but we 10 mins away from our local station and a lot can go wrong in that 10 mins.

All1

You know what Fonz i looked at wiki and came up with roughly same info but i thought i'll wait a while until the London Fire Brigade (LFB) come back to me with info as if anyone will know they will, well replied to my info request said they are not allowed to give advice of brand or class to buy, i 'm how f**king stupid i can undrestand brand issue but not tell me what class, another example of how this country if screwed beyond workds and anyone who choose to live here is NUTS, i only live here because i can't afford to move.

LFB and can't give info out how stupid is that.

All1

• 1 month later...

Best all round extinguisher, if you can get hold of one, is a CO2, it puts the fire out with no damage to other surrounding items.

A dry powder extinguisher puts out the fire just as effectively, but it causes hugely excessive mess ,and terminal damage to any electrical items that even the smallest trace of the powder gets into, and it gets everywhere, including adjacent rooms with closed doors, it eats electrical conductors, slowly but surely.

That is what is putting me of the powder ones i had read some horror stories about tv's/hi-fi being screwed even though they were not in the fire, Thanks DJ mind made up CO2 it is, how long can i expect the shelf life to be, and when the end comes is it best just to throw away and buy a new one?

All1

You should get it checked regularly if you can, and they can usually be refilled if required, the only lifed item really is the cylinder. Most of the ones we use are lifed at ten years, you will normally find an expiry date for it stamped into the cylinder itself.