Sign in to follow this  
Alloneword

Anyone want to earn a few extra ££

I'm in the market for a cheap (ish) fluke multimeter?

The prices they go for on fleabay are a joke, it does not hve to be new in fact i'm hapopy with second hand, maybe a spare one at work is kicking around.....

I have no need for manual or box or even leads, it's just i'm trying to learn a wee bit more about electrics and having a cheap MM is just not going to cut it.

Given i don't know the right termanology please bear with me, my cheapo MM has, hell uploaded pic to stop any misunderstanding, so this is what i have and i want one where you just swith to volts and it will give a reading be that 1.5 or 240v no messting about with switching dials etc, so anyone help with right termanology for what i'm after or even better a MM?

All1

20171204_172437[1].jpg

The term is 'auto-ranging'  That means when you put the probes on live terminals, it will sense whether it's AC or DC and what voltage, usually up to 500V

Unfortunately - Fluke and cheap are words that don't go together.

This is the one I use on a daily basis. It's hand held and you can clip one lead on to the meter to test wherever you want - unlike the one you have shown where you have to put the meter down somewhere to test.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluke-t5-1000-open-jaw-electrical-tester-1000v/93086

fluke-meter.jpg

Thanks for the termanology help.

What bugs me most was i used to work at a place that had them hanging around everywhere and could have lifted a good few if i had thought about it, the one you mention i can get for £105 new and second hand for £80, so given there is not much difference price wise i'd just buy new if i have to, but the Scottish in me always wants a deal from somewhere.

All1