It's a sad day in Alloneword's home today

Alloneword

So when i first came online in 99 i took out a cracking email address with Tesco.net
myapartment@tesco.net
I thought it was awesome and it served me well for all this time, however the barstewards at Tesco's have gone and shut the whole thing down in a couple of months and i feel lost  
I have spoken about email addys before but always wanted to keep hold of "myapartment" but now i have no choice.

So do i have this right?
To get a permeant email address that i have control over i first need to buy a domain, say alloneword.com (it's gone) and then i could have various email address like mum@alloneword.com, dad@alloneword.com etc etc and i presume these would work with an email client like Thunderbird with the right setting etc that would be provided by the hosting company?
So if i have the above right is there anything i need to be aware of (or stay away from) as far as the hosting company is concerned?
I wil need decent support at the very least a chat option, i have been with a company who only offered email support and that was about as useful as a wet paper bag

Any other advice is welcome; I just don't want to be put in this position again.

All1

You are correct you can just buy a domain and often some hosts will give you some space and email facilities. The good thing about having your own domain is that you get to choose want you want to a degree.

Have your tried GMX? 

Yea but it gives me no control, from my reading they are no differnt to yahoo or gmail ie; they could shut it down in a heart beat I have signed up with 1&1 with a couple of domains and they offer some support where as freeparking was sh1t so once my domains have moved over i should be able to sort emails out and be able to store my emails offline on my own email client.

All1

• 1 year later...

Wow blast from the past, hope life is good for you m8.

Yea it was a pain in the rear but in the end i went with 1&1 (or whatever they call themselves nowadays), i only use them for basic email package and they seem ok for what i need

All1

19 hours ago, TGuv said:

great to hear that you survived your own brain A1W. I only stopped by to see which one of you goes first as i've got you on the deadpool ?

Hope things getting better though ?

LOL very funny m8, well it could have been a lot worse for me so in that way i dodged a bullet, but still left with issues, like some weakness on left side and numbness on left side but as i say it could have been much worse for me so i'm not complaining just a wake up call to some degree that i need to change my life 45 years of eating sh1t has caught up with me so now best tasting meal is cardboard with salad dressing  ?

All1