How much should I charge

conbrue

Hello peeps,

I fix pc's in my spare time, the work is quite steady I dont advertise and I want to charge a fair price. Most jobs I do are pc's that are running slow, full or rubbish, infected etc, I normally reload these as from experience you can spend a few nights cleaning them up and end up reloading them anyway. Once reloaded I replace all the files from backup i.e photo's music etc, I make sure all the drivers are working, install all updates, install a free AV and cleaner and any other useful software to help them keep their PC running smooth in future.

In your opinion how much should I charge for this service?

Thanks in advance

Hello peeps,

I fix pc's in my spare time, the work is quite steady I dont advertise and I want to charge a fair price. Most jobs I do are pc's that are running slow, full or rubbish, infected etc, I normally reload these as from experience you can spend a few nights cleaning them up and end up reloading them anyway. Once reloaded I replace all the files from backup i.e photo's music etc, I make sure all the drivers are working, install all updates, install a free AV and cleaner and any other useful software to help them keep their PC running smooth in future.

In your opinion how much should I charge for this service?

Thanks in advance

I used to offer this service 8 years ago and I used to charge £25 call out then £25 per hour, nowadays forget the call out charge.

I do this for £20-£25 for a clean install of windows or £20 for a hardware upgrade but if I need to do a hardware upgrade and a clean install of windows I will do that for about £40-£50.

I used to do this for free but ppl started taking the P*SS but after asking for cash there hearing got a lot better :Scull:

And don't forget about "mates rates"

Thanks Cobra, when you just do the clean install do you include backups and other software installs to get them up and running in your price or is this extra cost?

That what the gap in the £20-£25 is for if i have to do a lot of backing up then it's £25.

BTY if you are going to be doing a lot of backing up get yourself a live linux disc this will save you time.

I do a similar thing.

Charge £25 if the job takes less than 2 hours.

I generally charge £50 to £70 including all the back ups of data, emails, drivers etc.. and a re-install of all the software with all updates.

Plus free tea and biscuits of course.

I guess it depends on the job. In & out = £25, several hours = £50+

Good luck

A lot of the time a windows install is done in by kids and the junk software they install "install this get a free Iphone spyware"

when it's like this I setup two accounts one as a standard user account and one as a administrator account and I put a password on this one.

I then set the standard account to need the admin password to run any new software.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-is-a-standard-user-account