The Budget...

sparks

Can anyone see any real 'pain' in there?...

Sure, the VAT rise will cost a bit, but then shopping around more will solve that...

The pay freeze takes a bit off, but when you take the tax out of a pay rise, you're not left with much extra anyway..

CGT is a bit of a problem in my case, but easily avoided... :Winky:

Too little, too late I'm afraid - it won't change the fact that we are still heading for bankrupcy, since even if we 'balance the books' we still owe a couple of £trillion !

I did hear today on BBC news (had TV on in the background) that taking all this into account come the end of the life of this Govt we will STILL won't have got the debt down as all the money will be going on interest, so cut a long story were still no better off.

I will catch news later to make sure i didn't hear it wrong but one thing that does worry me is "Housing Benefit" to be a max of £400 per week that may be fine outside london but just a quick bit of digging at findaproperty.com has come up with a 2 bed flat in SW8 (not the best part of London) for £400 a week now, I think that is the london borough of Lambeth, so what is a family with 3 or 4 kids to do if they live in that borough, you can presume there will be no local authority housing so they have to look at private sector, but they won't be able to find a 3 or 4 bed place for that £400 budget, can of worms comes to mind, i see why there doing it but could be problems.

VAT, so long at it's not on food and basics in life then fine. IMO.

No duty of fags or booze makes no odds as VAT will will just push it up, to be honest it's not as bad as i thought it could have been, i do think they should have gone further, I do think at the end of the day we (and many others) will have to renegotiate our debt repayment plan at some stage, we have no option.

Oh yea anyone seen a one-eyed Scottish idiot lately?

No didn't think so. :Winky:

All1

All1

The housing benefit idea is a bit bizarre, and IMO has been elevating property prices/rent artificially..I'm on the south coast. Not London I know, but still not in a cheap area - and yet my mortgage for a 4 bed house is not that much more than the new weekly allowance ! Something has gone badly wrong somewhere, and I would rather see help to buy rather than handing over our taxes to landlords (if you knew where some of our family's finances come from, you'd think I was the turkey voting for christmas with that statement, but I look at the bigger picture).

All benefits need to be looked at, and if it is done sensibly prices will fall correspondingly. It's not for nothing that the UK is known internationally as 'Treasure Island' by global companies, and especially those supplying our public services/institutions...

As for the debt problem, you're right. In effect we'll just about be able to meet the monthly credit card interest payment, but not pay off any of the outstanding balance!

The last time the Tories were in power they robbed us stupid and my mortgage went sky high and taxes were ridiculous, for the past 10 years or more my mortgage has been very stable now the Tories are back!! great eh... oh yes and its all Labours fault of course. I can't stand Cameron either looks a smarmy twat! :Furious:

The last time the Tories were in power they robbed us stupid and my mortgage went sky high and taxes were ridiculous, for the past 10 years or more my mortgage has been very stable now the Tories are back!! great eh... oh yes and its all Labours fault of course. I can't stand Cameron either looks a smarmy twat! :Furious:

I'm certainly no tory supporter, but you have to ask yourself why your payments went up so much then, and why it's possible they'll do the same again...(and in actual fact taxes were higher during the recently departed labour lot than they were during the preceding tory era!)

It's because Labour based their economy on massive borrowing and promoting growth based on an illusion. The Tories have had to pick up the pieces yet again, but usually they target the wrong people to pay for it!

I'm encouraged so far by the coalition because their extreme policies have been tempered somewhat...That's why I've always favoured PR because it has this effect...

However, it doesn't matter who is in power when our true debts are 'called in'...!

oh yes and its all Labours fault of course.
I don't know if your being sarcastic or not but anyway they have been in power for last 13 odd years and it was the one-eyed Scottish idiot (Brown if nobody can work it out) and Darling who borrowed the money, I'm sure we all agree we have to pay it back?

So if i presume you agree we have to pay it back, then how would you deal with it?

All1