What progs to use for games creation

Mr Dead

Hi all my lad who is 11 is really has his heart set on being a games creator when he is older any way i was wondering what kind of progs would you use to do this i'm talking more along the lines of creating the graphics. He wants to be able to draw a picture on his pc and make it move within a game or scene he also created. I suppose i'm talking animation aren't i but please any advice appreciated.

Your boy needs to do his national service like we all did.

You need

48k spectrum

Copy of Computer and video games

He will find a game listing in the magazine which will be approx 10 pages long full of code.

He needs to enter this exactly with any hope of it working.

One missed word or letter then his epic game will not work

He will defo find it does not work but will be up to early hours of the morning sobbing, checking and rechecking 10 times that every is correct.

In the magazine 2 issues later they print an amendment as they made an error.

Game will now work

D

My Lad Joseph, makes video about games, Rune scape etc.. not actual game creation though if that what you mean mate.

Thanks m8 but no that's not what he is after going i beleave he actually wants to make games thanks for replying thou m8.

I know what you mean Derren been there done that myself m8 many years ago LOL.

All i 'm after is some progs nothing to fancy or advanced to just alow him to create and make his own game.

In this day and age you need to pick a game engine 1st to use.

when you pick your game engine you then need to get the SDK (system/software development Kit)

This software will make the game but not the levels in the game.

And the last bit of software you will need is the package editor this will be for making the levels in the game (You can use the SDK to make the editor or you can get a pre-made package editor for the game engine your using)

the two game engines I'd look at 1st are

Unreal Engine 3 (The Unreal Development Kit (UDK) is the free edition of Unreal Engine 3) This is the biggest game engine out so many game are made from this engine.

Valve's Source engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_%28game_engine%29

Cheers Cobra for that after reading the wikis i'm starting to think it's way beyond him at the moment and to tell the truth beyond me showing him. Didn't relise that it was gonna be as complicated as it is well i suppose i did but was hoping something for kids to mess around with might be available.

He can wait a few years i think LOL