How refreshing

Alloneword

A Canadian couple who won $10.9m (£6.7m) in lottery winnings in July say they have given away $10.2m of the prize to groups in their community.

Allen and Violet Large said they were plain country folks who needed no more than "what we've got".

The two said they had donated about 98% of the cash after helping their family.

The elderly pair gave the money to churches, fire departments, cemeteries, the Red Cross and hospitals, where Ms Large has undergone cancer treatment.

"We haven't bought one thing. That's because there is nothing that we need," Mr Large, 75, told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

Mr Large, a retired welder from Canada's Nova Scotia province, added that he and his wife were quite content with their 147-year-old home and everything else they already owned.

"You can't buy happiness," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11699678

What a refreshing change it makes to see this kind of story instead someone buying stuff for the sake of buying it, and the last quote sums it up for me and how true it is.....

All1

I would say that they must have already decided that they would like to be able to help humanity more than what their normal income allowed, so they played and found the opportunity to help others realized. It also said that they helped their family and that may have been the other reason for playing. Not everyone who plays does so just to fatten their bank account and acquire material things. I have always hoped that I would win as I also have wanted to do more for others less fortunate than me than what I am currently able to do.

But it does beg the question, 'why do the lottery in the first place'?..... hmm.gif

But it does beg the question, 'why do the lottery in the first place'?.....
I thought that in the first place as well but maybe there point to do it was to help others they wanted to help after all you can hardly depend on govt agencies to do it without wasting shed loads of cash.

All1