One for you dave...

sparks

(And for All1..lol)

A while ago I posted...

No... but just you think about it...

Who/What has priority on the streets?

And who have been denied their rights on those same streets?

You replied...

Traffic should be on the streets,pedestrians should be on the pavements

I'm just interested in what you think about the following?

"We have to rediscover the public space function"...!

Turning off cameras does not work,When i lived in brookis court off grays inn road they turned them off at greys inn road/high holborn & grays inn rd/theobolds road junctions as an experiment for 3 months.

It lasted less than 3 weeks as accidents & injuries trebled and area became gridlocked every day.

Pedestrans came off worst tho.

As for bikes doing what they want, i was myself knocked over by cyclist ignoring red light,know lots of other people who have been hit by them as well.

I was also a witness when a child who was passenger in a car was seriously hurt by mother swerving to miss red light runner cyclist and hitting another car.

Cyclist just stuck his/her fingers up and kept going.

In my opinion professional cyclists especially should have to be insured against damage,injury to others and should have some form of easy identification on bikes.

Mind you,just ignore me,i only lived amongst it for over 15 years and encountered it from all sides on daily basis.

STICK BY MY STATEMENT,ROADS ARE FOR VEHICLES,PAVEMENTS ARE FOR PEDESTRIANS.

They were built for vehicles,and have been paid for many times over by motorists.

Amazing the number of accidents you've apparently been involved in/witnessed...maybe you ought to notify the emergency services every time you go out... :Winky:

Care to put any facts to your argument?...or was it the 'australian' grays inn road?

Linky

According to a report by Bristol City Council there was not a single accident or injury during the two week-long trials...

The trial followed the successful switch-off of the much- criticised Cabstand lights in Portishead, North Somerset.

So why aren't the lights being removed permanently?...Oh Yeah - the short term cost!

The report says safety concerns could be addressed by installing shared space schemes, but these could cost up to £250,000 depending on the junction.

however...

"Traffic lights have been overused. The biggest lessons we need to take away is if proper design is used in the first place you don't need to install traffic lights."

And there's so much more...

Linky

You use your common sense rather than rely on lights.

Linky

The trial switch-off of traffic signals at two junctions in the London Borough of Ealing has increased junction throughput, cut congestion and reduced pedestrian wait times, a review of the work has found.

And here's one for the future...

Linky

The IOC said it had the backing of Boris Johnson to turn off the lights, which could be decommissioned permanently as a legacy of the Games.

The list of 'successes' is long, but nowhere can I find the sort of scenario you claim - could you point me to a link please?

And btw, roads were not built for vehicles - they were built for people and horses in the first place!

My facts are personal exprience & those of my family & friends,Lived in 4 bedroom town house in Brooks Court ec1 for 15 years plus.Work based in Inns of Court & Leather lane for most of them.

I drank in the local pubs & a lot of the conversation was about just those subjects.

Traveled many miles most days all over london by car,cab & public transport so i have seen a lot of moronic road users of all types.

As it happens a lot of my friends were Australian :Smiler:

And btw, roads were not built for vehicles - they were built for people and horses in the first place!

I think you will find that most of the roads & streets were built by the Romans as for use by Horses & Carts which are definately vehicles...

My facts are personal exprience & those of my family & friends,Lived in 4 bedroom town house in Brooks Court ec1 for 15 years plus.Work based in Inns of Court & Leather lane for most of them.

I drank in the local pubs & a lot of the conversation was about just those subjects.

Traveled many miles most days all over london by car,cab & public transport so i have seen a lot of moronic road users of all types.

Therefore they are not facts are they, because as you say they are your personal experience - that is completely different!

I prefer to refer to recorded facts when they are available as I've posted!

I'm quite happy to consider the opposite view when shown some evidence, but I have found none so far on this issue!

In city/town centres, the priorities are wrong!

I think you will find that most of the roads & streets were built by the Romans as for use by Horses & Carts which are definately vehicles...

I think you'll find that apart from the main Roman arteries (which were actually built for their armies), 'roads' were formed out of the original tracks used by people on foot!...in fact one of the first was a timber construction in a swamp near glastonbury c4000 bc (see what an ageing hippy knows... :Winky: )

When it came to towns/cities, they were just walkways between structures...horses/carts actually had to give way to 'pedestrians'...and in fact when those new fangled 'horseless vehicles' came about, they had to be preceeded with a bloke equipped with a red flag!...

Of course when it was realised how much money could be made from the automobile, the priorities changed...

However in a sane world the 'priority' should be changed back when it comes to city/town centres. Worshippers of their metal chariots are still free to use the motorways/carriageways/country roads to their 'heart's content'!