Q for the bods who have moved to Win7

Alloneword

OK I am slowly dragging my fat ass in the world of Win7 (Jesus how i miss DOS) and i'm coming up with a fair few problems with old apps not working.

Now maybe this is because my apps are so old (AcdSee 9) but i always worked on the basis of they worked for me it was OK, is there some trick i'm missing or do i just need to update them, I have tried running them as Admin (I mean what's all that about) and running in XP SP3 mode (as they all worked on my xp SP3 machine.

It's not life or death right now as i'm just playing with it on the lappy but would welcome any feedback that people who moved from XP/vista to 7.

http://www.howtogeek.com seems to offer some useful info but not found out why i'm having so many problems.

All1

sorry m8 can't help you i'm not moving from my trusted old xp sp3 took me years to decide to leave win ME to xp if it ain't broke why fix it especially at our ages :Laugh:

Yea i know what you mean but I do love XP and won't be moving all systems over to 7 just yet, as it stands i'm just playing with lappy to see what apps are going to give me hassle and so far there are a few Quick View Plus, CCE, DVD-RB, AcdSee are just a few of them, most seem ok but there are a few that are giving me grief and MS will stop support for XP sooner or later i'd rather know what problems are facing me now and be able to work round it before it's too late.

One thing i like about XP is being able to make it have that classic look at i'm not a lover of 7's UI so been doing some digging on getting that classic look back and come across THIS and when you apply it, it looks so cool, early days but it seems most of the apps just a few i need to update or failing that find alternatives for but i CANNOT do without CCE and DVD-RB as i use these for all my DVD9's to DVD5 conversions so more reading ahead. :Study:

All1

I've set up xp/Win7 dual boots on a couple of machines, and I must say I'm warming to the new look. I've also been a fan of keeping everything in 'classic mode', but Win7 seems to work quite well, and if it weren't for the same reason of some important apps not running I'd probably be thinking of moving to it by default now.

Just as an aside, are CCE and DVD-RB that much better than something like DVD Fab?

Just as an aside, are CCE and DVD-RB that much better than something like DVD Fab?
Well IMO they are the best by a long way I have tried most of the other one click apps and they just don't compare, I have it working fine in xp just not 7 yet if you need any more info then just PM me and i'll be glad to help.

All1

Windows 7 XP MODE look it up all your XP apps will run (Just not the full on 3d Games as it will not use your graphics card that way)

I have about half a dozen apps that refuse yo work in 7 even when put into xp mode or even 98 mode come to that the only app that has refused to work in 7 but did work in xp mode was an old version of NewsLeecher 2.3Final, I found some alternative for the failed apps but right now there is 2 apps that i must have working b4 i can move to 7

no no no your going on about XP compatibility mode in windows 7

Read this about compatibility mode

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

This is XP mode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNFczLYBtrA

The XP mode is a FULL ISO of Windows XP that you install inside windows 7 this will run 95% of apps it's just DX games that will not run on it.

Oh no i get what your on about "Virtual PC" yea it might work I used to use it in XP when i needed to run a few apps that only worked in 98SE, it's been a while since i used it but it is there as a last resort but to be honest i'd rather wait until the apps i need will work in 7 without the need for any form of emulation having said that i won't rule it out, but a good reminder thanks cobra

All1