First anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti.

Computerdummy

For those who know me on this forum today marks the first anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti. On 12 January 2010, Haiti suffered a disaster of unparalleled magnitude. The earthquake that day killed over two hundred thousand people; more than three hundred thousand were injured and a staggering 2.3 million – nearly one quarter of the population – was displaced. This is an anniversary I would prefer never to celebrate. I lost a lot of good friends in this tragedy including Doug and Mark. May their memory live forever and their sacrifice never forgotten! My hearth also goes to people of Haiti who suffered and keeps on suffering after this tragedy. One year after this tragedy, where is the international help? No matter what ethical background or religion believe you have no one can remain insensitive to this tragedy and the suffering that remains to this day.

CD

I think the lack of interest says a lot about attitudes to different countries/peoples...

Similarly, whilst we're getting major coverage of the australian floods (which have claimed very few lives relatively) over here, there is very little about the far more costly (in terms of human life) disaster in Brazil, and the greater number of those made homeless in sri lanka under similar circumstances...

We in the west tend to value 'our' lot whilst often ignoring the plight of the 'others'...

Haiti had virtually no chance before the quake, let alone now!

The sacrifice of your mates should never be forgotten, but the measure of that should be changed attitudes and actions...however, having been around to see many such disasters over the years, that is a vain hope!