Petrol Prices

daveb47

Fuel Prices

Received this today as an email and just wondered what other people's opinions were:

Please see what you think and pass it on if you agree with it.

We are hitting £129.9 a litre in some areas now and soon we will be faced with paying £1.50 per litre. So Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign' that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS - not sellers control the market place. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one) i.e. ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If all of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)....and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on. By the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it......

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all YOU have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (and not buy at ESSO/BP). How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell,Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet etc. i.e. Boycott BP and Esso

Slight flaw I'm afraid...

Where do you think the supermarkets get their petrol from?

Yep, the same refineries as all the majors with the exception of shell, because they have 'swap agreements'...

Petrol stations actually make a loss, hence the reason they sell so much more nowadays.

So Esso and BP still get the same, give or take...and what about the biggest beneficiary? Cos it won't do anything to the tax take will it.

And even if it did make a difference to BP/Esso, we are a tiny market and there's plenty of other places to sell !

On the face of it, this sounds a good idea, I appreciate what sparks has written but I do not entirely agree with him, there are many petrol companies and I have a good friend who works off shore for one of them. There are different oil companies out there and the two biggest do not control the others! The supermarkets buy in bulk deals from the cheapest supplier on a daily basis.

I started using all the smaller companies about a year ago.

The supermarkets buy in bulk deals from the cheapest supplier on a daily basis.

Which is where 'swap deals' come in....a deal may be done as you say, but the actual petrol comes from the nearest/most convenient refinery. And the output from those refineries is the same stuff. The only difference is the various additives that are put in by the different companies when the petrol is in the tanker!...And the tankers themselves are not the company's either - they are all sub-contracted out, despite the signs on the side..The reason why Shell isn't involved in a 'swap deal', is that it won't accept petrol that has already been put into the tanker, unlike the other companies who are happy to have deliveries from any source.

And the only supermarkets that operate a petrol 'loss leader' are Asda and Morrisons. All the others follow suit within a 2 mile radius, but most areas are not in this criteria, and hence the other supermarkets charge the going rate regardless.

And if you make a habit of researching 'who owns who', you'll find for example that Jet (mentioned earlier) is actually owned by Conoco...

So the whole premise of 'smaller companies' is in fact a fallacy, as they all lead back to a large cartel !

And for what it's worth, you might as well try and bring the government down as get an oil company to play fair - but then they are part of that same cartel !

Tbh,i dont really care any more,bin shafted by them all my life,dont thik i got much longer anyway...

But...I am running my campervan on old chip oil on the occasional journey out.so SUCKS bOO YA to the slimies who control my life.

Ok that will stop on Jan 3rd 2012 when LEZ starts as i wont then be able to use it at all...Well i could pay £100 a day,every day...!!!

Bit of luck i wont be around by then & will miss the Oilimprik games so i wont get to see billions more wasted>>>>>>

Tbh,i dont really care any more,bin shafted by them all my life,dont thik i got much longer anyway...

But...I am running my campervan on old chip oil on the occasional journey out.so SUCKS bOO YA to the slimies who control my life.

Ok that will stop on Jan 3rd 2012 when LEZ starts as i wont then be able to use it at all...Well i could pay £100 a day,every day...!!!

Bit of luck i wont be around by then & will miss the Oilimprik games so i wont get to see billions more wasted>>>>>>

I guess then the saying 'don't let the b*stards grind you down' is a bit out of place here!