Hitchhiking...

sparks

I was just reading this article, and it brought back memories...

Is hitchhiking a thing of the past?

We used to get around our local area all the time this way when we were younger - when we weren't bunking the trains...lol

I hitched all the way from Calais to Trabzon in Turkey (apart from a quick flight from Dubrovnik to Skopye), and then back to Athens. As well as around NZ and Israel..

Never felt threatened, but I wouldn't be bothered to do it any more, and would be concerned if our daughters did the same when they are older...And irrational too, given that I don't believe that there are any more weirdos out there than back then.

I haven't given anyone a lift in years - but then I can't remember seeing anyone hitching for years!

So has anyone else hitched/given people lifts, and have your views now changed?

Does anyone still do it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Intresting you should mention this now, this was in the current bun the other day

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3747929/Sun-man-puts-hitchhiker-fears-to-the-test.html

As for giving lifts etc well I have only ever ridden bikes so 95% of the time i don't carry a spare helmet but on one occasion i took a m8 up to Northampton to pick up his new bike and he gave me his old helmet to take back (would not have looked right stuck on the back of his GSXR 750) and i did stop for someone and asked if they wanted lift into London but they refused to get on the back which is fair enough.

However i have picked up at least half a dozen other bikers (who have there own lids and are happy to ride pillion) who have either broken down by the side of the road or ran out of fuel and taken them to petrol stations got a can of fuel and taken them back to there bike, there seems to be a certain amount of comradery (spelling) between bikes especially outside London.

All1

Bikes..those were the days!

Never had a full license - went from a learner to a car. But I did have a Bob Gollner KT250 trials bike...

Which reminds me... on that European Hitching trip I went to crete from Athens to Crete, and on a whim decided to hire a bike. And way back when Greece was the non law abiding country it is going to become again, who needed a licence!When I came out of the hire place, there was a swiss girl asking if anyone was heading to the south of the island? Naturally I obliged and that was a fun 3 days. Talking of hitching a lift suddenly reminded me of that - ah, the memories...( :Winky: )

Oh, and also just remembered. In Turkey, a mad truck driver who gave me a lift allowed me to drive a 38 Tonner!