A true legend has gone

Alloneword

Iran embassy SAS commander John McAleese dies

Ex-SAS soldier John McAleese, who led the raid that ended the 1980 siege at Iran's embassy in London, has died.

Mr McAleese, who was in his early 60s, died on Friday in Thessaloniki, Greece, the Foreign Office said.

The former sergeant led the team which blew out the building's windows and rescued 24 hostages from gunmen.

His daughter said he had been reunited with his son, a soldier killed in Afghanistan. "Two great heroes taking their place in heaven," she said.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "We are aware of the death of John McAleese, a hero who served his country bravely and professionally in a military career that spanned many years.

"Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14697819

It may not be the PC thing to say anymore but a real man IMO, hope he enjoy the afterlife.

48px-Face-sad.svg.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember the documentary about the seige of the Iranian embassy.

I remember him being a big part of it and listening with awe at his and his comrades unbelievable bravery.

He didn't glorify or brag about his part in it - just told it as it was. Even about swearing with Maggie Thatcher stood behind him

and saying sorry to her.

Men like him make the SAS what it is: simply the best regiment in the world.

RIP mate

• 3 weeks later...

Trial by press.

They could never print/publish that while he was alive, so they get away with (possibly) tarnishing his image now he can't take any action against them for it.

Unless someone comes forward with proof, and I suspect that will never happen as if there really was any solid evidence he would have been charged, I prefer to assume that I never read that article.

I prefer to assume that I never read that article.
You can't stick your head in the sand m8, once you've read it there is nothing you can do about it, but IMO I find it hard to beleive and as you say I need hard evidence before i'll chnage my view on this guy, but stranger things have happened.

All1

Do you know something we don't in order to make that statement?

There is a lot that I know, lets just say that my father worked with him, if you know what I mean, and I trained with R Squadron back in 1990/91 but not going to get into it on here though, but trust me on this one.