Need to learn more about networks/networking

Alloneword

OK I'm fairly tech savvy on most IT stuff but networks and networking has always got away from me and i have never understood things.

What I'm trying to do is to get my IT stuff to talk to each other as much as possible in the flat, so for example these are the things i want to learn about Getting my WD TV Live to allow to stream from folder within my PC, also allowing my Samsung to connect wirelessly to my PC and stream from the folder in there, DLNA, HDCP, streaming from my Foxsat HDR with custom firmware to other TV, Apple's airplay to M-CR603, bluetooth on PC to stream to M-CR603 etc etc, so as you can see there is a host for me to learn, i don't just want people to tell me how to do stuff i'd rather learn myself from the floor up rather then just picking someone else's brain.

So my question to everyone here is do any of you know of a decent forums or websites or even magazines that will help me learn more about networking, networks in particular home networking.

All1

All1,

There is a site called "makeuseof" that has a lot of free guides and they are pretty useful. I would check out the site and do a search there for home networking. All of their guides are downloadable PDF's. Hope this helps.

heavy1

Also try the Ebook - networking for dummy's

It does what it says on the tin

It explains linking 2 computers together by twisted pair to making a server drive to wifi and multiple streaming networks.

When the kids were at home, I could sit in my garage with me lappy - watch anything I wanted, take control of anything and see whatever the kids were looking at.

I extended it to a house webpage where I can control a lot of home automation I have put in, from anywhere in the world.

As I speak now, I can see that it is 19 degrees C in my greenhouse, the motorised windows are shut and there has been no need to auto-water my seedlings.

The other day, I was watching gypo's sniffing around in my back garden - dirty thieving bastards.

Their cards are marked.

The other day, I was watching gypo's sniffing around in my back garden - dirty thieving bastards.

Their cards are marked.

I have an 8 watt argon laser if you need it . . . . . "No Mr Pikey, I expect you to dice !"