Anyone using a combination microwave

Alloneword

I'm considering dumping my run of the mill microwave for one of these combination microwave things, my main reason for doing this is to cut down on my energy costs, I'm all electric and thinking that investing in one of these (anywhere between £200-£400) will save me running costs in the long term, does anyone use one of these often?

If so how do you/the other half find them in quality of cooking and have you or the other half noticed a dop in your running costs?

All1

I once timed the wife cooking some bacon one morning ,In the normal oven it took about 35 minutes from start to finish.I saw a small oven at Lidl £20 in them days £30 now,Bought one stuck it on the worktop and when the wife saw it she said it'll never get used,Well was she wrong it gets used virtually every day.Bacon takes about 10 minutes in it,Won't take a chicken but chops chicken breast pizza's etc its perfect.She wouldn't be without it now,And it must have saved a fair bit of money in electric.

• Thumbs Up 1

I got me a combination microwave back in 98 and I'm still using it now (It's a 1000w DAEWOO edition-I)

it's lasted this long as I give it a full clean out every 2 weeks and always keep it on (never switch it off unless your cleaning it)

when you use one it will do a cool down for 5-10 minutes after you use it this will expel any condensation.

I had a mate that had one and he was turning it off at the wall and not letting it do the cool down it did not last long.

The only thing about the one i have is it was white when i got it but it's now gone beige lol.

If my one gave up tomorrow The LG MJ3281BCS will be on my short list (it will be a very short list)

As Heavy 1 says. The combination microwave adds flexibility and convenience to the kitchen as the main bonus. You have an additinal convection oven and grill to complement your normal cooker.  I have an average size one that uses 1400watts of input power to get 800watts of microwave cooking power, The grill adds 1000watts to this and if used on convection only it uses 1950watts. So they still use a lot of juice but because microwave is more efficient in power use than a heating element this is quicker and cheaper on electricity than a normal convention ovan of a cooker. Also, if using on convection only, you are heating up a smaller space and so again less power. I find that if you want to crisp something, an extra minute on the mic works quicker and is cheaper than switching on the heating element - ths is ismply what I have found works for me in practise. Hope this helps.