BT Broadband Charges

Jamer

I have been with BT for years and years for my Broadband, I am aware that there have been cheaper options available but I have stuck with them. I have Infinity 2 ( they may have renamed this service now) 

I currently pay £47.98 per month

Broadband - £24.99
Line Rental - £18.99
Free Eve and Weekend Calls - £4.00

My 18 month contract is due to end I believe March 2019.

Earlier this year in February I received a letter explaining that there was going to be another small price increase and I had 30 days from the date of the letter in order to be able to leave my contract early because of the price increase, but I was away a lot on business and by time I had got around to calling BT as I had found a much better deal on Vodafone I was 1 day over and the girl more or less sniggered as she informed me. That really wound me up at the time.

Guess what? Yes, BT have written to me yet again advising of another price increase in September, again I have received a letter explaining that I have 30 days in which I can leave my contract, so I called BT and the gentlemen who was based in India said that the best that they could offer me was to keep my price the same without the increase for 18 months. 

I then spoke with Sky, not only have they offered me exactly the same deal but for £30.00 (18 months) but they also reduced my TV package for Sky Q from £74 down to £53 but then gave another £5.00 discount because I was moving my fibre broadband to them, so TV is now £47.00 and Broadband is now £30.00, that is a saving of £830!

I told Sky to go-ahead, BT have now contacted me because they have received a cancellation notice, I spoke to a gentlemen who said that he had spoken with his supervisor and could offer me the same Broadband package that I am already on for £1 yes £1 plus £18.99 line rental so a total of £19.99 per month, oh and then he added the £4 for the free evening and weekend calls giving a grand total of £23.99 per month (18 months)

I told them to shove it!

So BT through their own greed wanted to put my already expensive price of £48 per month up yet again which in turn has promoted me to look at alternatives and now because I am leaving they offer me a price that is less than half the price that I am paying now. 

I remember from when I had Sky Broadband a longtime ago that it was pretty good, so I hope that there service is still the same.

Like you i'm on BT and had signed an 18 month contract about 6 months ago and got £150 credit card £80 cashback and then they go with the price increase, so waited till i got my email and was able to get it down to £21.99 but if i went DD i could knock another £2 a month off that making it £19.99 18 month new contract and a speed increase giving me 80/20 (no idea what it is called) and as a rule they are ok for me anyway.

I will NEVER give sky another penny, even if they offered me 1gbit service for nothing i would turn it down, some companies do something so bad you never go back and Sky is one of them.

Sometimes you have to make a stand and with Sky/Dixons etc i take a stand with them and they can shove their service up their rear end, that being said i hope the move goes well.

All1

Virgin are no angels but their broadband is awesome.

The trouble is they bundle a house phone in every package. (you can't get any package without a phone)

And the phoneline is expensive Mon -Fri (no off peak or after 6 free calls) It's like a dead weight because we never use it.

I often threaten to leave - tell them I can't afford it on my pension (I don't have a pension, I still work) and they always reduce the price and up my broadband speed.

On 200MB at mo and aiming for the 350MB. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have switched to Sky Q for my fibre (already using Q for my TV which is great) however, the Sky Q router wifi is very poor compared to the BT Hub. Still tinkering around and I have an engineer calling tomorrow, not sure what they think he can do that I can't but we will see. Connection at the router is fine but speeds drops MASSIVELY over wifi, which was not the case with BT.

My v6 of the hub is not great for reliablility that was is why i'm going for a wired CCTV system rather than IP cameras have not reported it yet but i will this week and see what they say, funny how we moan about speed issues i remember your Times article where you were moaning about being stuck on dial up, now look were moaning if we don't get 50mbits :tongue_32:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Currently looking at sorting my partners broadband out. She tells me she pays £48 per month to BT, she uses whatsapp to text her girls every night and watches youtube maybe twice a month in the evening. She never uses her home phone to make calls so its redundant.

I'm sure I can get a better deal than £48!

Damm right she can, i'm paying £21.99 but because they have messed me about they are going to put me down to £18.99 but that is as i say because they have screwed me about and getting 80Mbits, she also needs to look at Quidco & Topcashback and also maybe hang on for a month or 2 as often they throw a credit card in with some cash on it as well, but just had a nose and deals seem cr@p right now if she can i would hold off till after crimbo when funds are tight and BT are trying to grab folks, if i hear of a decent deal i will post back here for ya

All1