It's getting nearer...

sparks

Youths defiant at 'Spanish revolution' camp in Madrid

Dubbed the "Spanish revolution", the protest began with a march through Madrid on Sunday, led by young Spaniards angry at mass unemployment, austerity measures and political corruption.

It turned into a spontaneous sit-in on the square in Sol, which organisers say has now been mirrored in 57 other cities.

Independent of any trade union or political party, the protesters' ranks have been swollen through campaigns on social networking sites and Twitter....

"It's the young who are leading this," says Alfredo Guerra, admiringly, as he listens in on one assembly. A hotel worker, aged 56, he also lost his job in the recession.

"Our life is practically over, but they are acting for their future. They have everything to gain and nothing to lose," he says.

A core group of protesters have been camping out non-stop since Sunday. Others, who have to work or study, sign up for shifts to join them.

A rough attempt by police to dislodge the apparently peaceful demonstration on Sunday night only brought more people out in support.

In one corner, there is a queue to sign a petition that reads: "We want to demonstrate that society is not asleep, and we will fight for what we deserve. We want a society that prioritises people over economic interests."

I wonder if our 'Youth' will do the same?

Sadly I fear not, since they are cowered into submission by financial consequences and brutal policing!

I guess that means it's those 'who have nothing to lose' that must make it happen here.... :Winky: