Jump to content

Outdoor electrics

Recommended Posts

I'dlike one of these outdoors; http://www.screwfix.com/p/nexus-13a-2g-dp-switched-socket/67928#


I can drill the hole through the wall and there is an electric socket on the inside of the wall 3 ft away. I know I'd have to channel cable from inside socket to exit point to outside socket but how would I wire this up to inside socket?

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as you have an RCD on the ringmain your connecting into, you could run it as a spur from the nearest socket, or off a switched fused spur if you want to be able to isolate it.

BUT, if you don't know exactly how to do this, then do yourself a favour and get an electrician to do the job.


The easiest (and safest) DIY method is just to hook it up like an extension lead. i.e. run a flex from the outside socket to the inside one, and just put a 13A plug on the end of it, use an RCD plug if you don't already have one protecting the ringmain at your fuse board. Then plug it in whenever you need to use the outside socket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually Ogre, the part 'P' advice was done as a 'just so you know' comment.


Part P boils my ######.


Here's how it is supposed to work!


It was decreed a few years back that all electricians who do domestic work must have this certificate.

It's intentions were to stop cowboy builders etc doing dodgy electrical work.

All good so far.


They even changed the colours of the wires in the 'twin & Earth' to brown and blue to prove it had been installed after the law came into place.


To be part P registered, you have to pay for a short course and also pay an annual fee to stay registered.

This cost has to be paid by your customers by way of a higher hourly rate.


The unqualified and cowboy electricians don't go on this course and can easily undercut the part P men.

The government also run 4 week courses where anybody in any job can come out a fully qualified electrician with part P too

and wade straight into your house.


So here's the irony. I have been a fully qualified (many city & guilds and technical qualifications) electrical technician for 40 years.

40 years experience in every electrical aspect there is. But, I don't do any domestic work and so don't need the part P certificate.


But, if I wanted to wire an extra socket in my own kitchen, after I had finished and to keep within the law, I would have to call someone with part P

to test and inspect my work and tell me I had done it correctly. This could be a bricky or forklift truck driver that went on the short course.


True electricians that keep up with all the legislation are now struggling for work - whilst the cowboys are mown out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...