So what is happening to DAB

Alloneword

I havn't read any schedules for when the normal radio is turned off - but 20 million cars can't be wrong.

The commerical radio stations would go bust without all the people in cars being able to hear it.

The advertisers would not pay for advertising if only a few upmarket drivers were listening.

They've apparently abandoned the nominal switch off of AM in 2015, and it's anyones guess when that will happen now let alone FM...

By the time enough people get DAB, DAB+ will be around and many DAB radios will also become obsolete!

Then of course there is internet radio which gives far better quality than DAB - well here at least...

So I won't be buying DAB, as it's crap reception, energy hungry and I hate those bloody retro radios!

And besides, this continual change of technology is a massive con - designed merely to part us from our hard earned as often as possible!

And besides, this continual change of technology is a massive con - designed merely to part us from our hard earned as often as possible!
I know my old 19" CRT gave a much better image then this new BenQ 24" thing i'm using now, OK thanks guys it's jusy Sue's little bedroom hi-fi is up the wall and wants another one and didn't want to buy if analouge was being turned of next year or something (like my tv signal) :Weep:

All1

I know my old 19" CRT gave a much better image then this new BenQ 24" thing i'm using now

All1

Ours was the same...

We are continually exchanging quality for convenience...

Furthjer things that mean deteriorating quality...

MP3 instead of CD instead of vinyl...

HD TV which is crap unless you pay for HD devices/contracts...

Camcorders that output compressed instead of raw footage...

The list goes on and on....

Pah...

The portable cd player was just a dream when I remember owning one of these and strapping it to my bike handlebars....!

lens6595502_1251025974original-philips-casette-tape-recorder.jpg

But here's the funny thing...it was more reliable (and sociable), albeit less convenient when looking for tracks...

But smaller is not always better.....

As I'm sure Sue will agree - Touché!

I have to agree. We are lead to believe that digital is superior to analouge - but without the most expensive equipment - it isn't.

Especially when we are talking about picture quality or sound quality.

You have all seen sound traces on a graph - these are chopped up by digital into either on or off - where the analouge signal graduates between on and off

If the sound is sampled more often (expensive equipment) then you can get a near perfect reproduction - but the average digital convertor has a very poor sampling rate.

We have all been seduced by the new word 'digital'

I've got DAB in the car and use it all the time. Yes there are some dead spots but generally coverage is OK and the sound is perfectly adequate for listening to in the car. Mrs G uses DAB in the kitchen and bathroom and its because we listen to radio stations that are unavailable in FM